Have a go at making an origami butterfly. Origami is the art of folding paper into shapes and decorations, that originated in Japan. All you need to make this origami butterfly is a square piece of paper and a spare few minutes:
Here are written instructions for making the origami butterfly, in addition to the video:
- Take a square piece of paper. Fold it diagonally, press along the fold, and unfold. Repeat the other way.
- Turn the piece of paper over. Fold the bottom edge to the top edge, press along the fold, and unfold. Fold the left edge to the right edge, press along the fold, and unfold.
- Fold the left edge to the right edge, allowing the other edges to fold inward along the creases. This will form a triangle shape.
- Fold the top layer from both bottom corners of the triangle towards the top corner, but each slightly to either side of that top corner. Press along the creases.
- Fold the bottom layer from the top of the triangle towards the bottom flat edge, so that it overlaps a little, and fold it over. Press carefully along the crease, as the bottom “wings” will be drawn up.
- Press along the middle crease to help keep the fold over in place.
We would love to see pictures of your creations, please do share them with us.